Thursday 4 October 2012

GOAN PRAWN CURRY WITH COCONUT AND PRAWN RAVA FRY


Today must be my lucky day. Why? Because I went to the fish market and I've got 20 pieces of this fresh, big juicy tiger prawn for 200 Rs only (about 3€)! That's why I love Goa, beautiful, green and cheap!



I decided to pay a tribute to this amazing state in India and cook a Goan dish: Prawn Curry with Coconut and Prawn Rava Fry. I did it under the straight directions of my landlady, a pure Goan blood!

Every time I eat Goan food I always think it such an elaborate and complicate dish. 

Believe me. It is not!



The list of ingredients can surly scare you, but for an Indian these are the basic ingredients to cook any curry. I learn it. I learn how to do the magic of spices, I learn to not exaggerate with turmeric and to not be afraid of chilly powder. To learn how to cook Indian Food has been a significant goal and see my husband serve himself for the third time it's priceless! I never try to cook for guests. I should be more confident and do it! Maybe one day, with my friend Prachi and her Deliciously Directionless!

Time: 40-45 minutes
Ingredients:

  • Prawns
  • Rice
  • 1 Onion
  • 1 Tomato
  • 2 Green Chillies
  • Ginger Garlic Paste
  • Fish Tamarind
  • Turmeric
  • Garam Masala
  • Chilly Powder
  • Coriander Powder
  • Cumin Seeds
  • 200ml Coconut Milk or Half Coconut Shell Grated
  • Rava (semolina)
  • Salt

Preparation:



  • Prawn Rava Fry Marination: marinate prawn with salt, a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 tsp of garam masala. Soak the fish tamarind in an half cup of water, squeeze it and add the water. I use Goan fish tamarind, wich becomes dark brown in color and like a dense paste. Put aside the marinated prawn and prepare the curry.




Goan Fish tamarind






  • Goan Prawn Curry with Coconut: cut finely the onion and the tomato. Add oil in a vessel and fry the onion. When it ready add the tomato and keep frying on high flame. 




  • Now, you have two options:
  1. If you have fresh grated coconut put it in a mixer, add a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of cumin seeds, 2tsp of coriander powder, 2tsp of chilly powder, 1tsp of ginger garlic paste add water and grind them. Add it into the vessel and bring it to boil.
  2. If you have coconut milk packed (like me), pure it into the vessel add one cup of water and bring it to boil. Then, add the spices: a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of cumin seeds, 2tsp of coriander powder, 2tsp of chilly powder, 1tsp of ginger garlic paste.



  • When it's boiling, add the prawn, 1tsp of salt, the water of the soaked fish tamarin and 2 green chillies.



  • Let it cook for 10-15 minutes. When ready, put it in a serving plate and cover it to keep it warm.



  • Prawn Rava Fry: lay the prawn into the rava and cover them with it. Fry them in oil.


           





I serve it with rice and mago pickle.


If you have any question or suggestion you know how to find me.

all the material belongs to ©inindiaperamore.blogspot.com








1 comment:

  1. Hi Petit Chef,

    thank you... I'll have a look as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...